Hip Hound Brace
Designed for dogs who suffer from arthritis, mild to moderate hip dysplasia, decreased endurance during activity, hip pain, lower back pain or weakness, and back leg limping.Read More
The Hip Hound Brace is for Dogs of All Ages
The Hip Hound dog hip brace is appropriate for puppies and young dogs who suffer from low back pain and early hip dysplasia symptoms. The brace also supports the lower back and hip area for dogs recovering from surgery or injury.
The Hip Hound is also useful for older dogs who have difficulty getting around easily. The support and stability provided by the hip brace help decrease dog hip pain and inflammation while being active. However, please note that if your dog cannot stand on their own, the Hip Hound mobility brace will not provide enough support for them. Additionally, a brace will not provide support for dogs with degenerative myelopathy or a neurological disorder.
Available in Sizes Small Through Extra-large
The Hip Hound includes the space mesh material brace and harness. It fits dogs with a height of at least 13 inches (for the brace) and a chest circumference of at least 12 inches (for the harness). Both the brace unit and harness are adjustable. Since the brace is designed to be used when your dog is active, you can leave the harness on and slip the space mesh material brace on and off as needed.
Indications for Use
- Mild to moderate hip dysplasia
- Decreased endurance during activity
- Hip pain
- Low back pain/weakness
- Back leg limping or fatigue
- Post operative support
It comes in a nylon mesh draw-string bag for easy and clean storage. Just throw the bag in the back of your car and head out for fun with your dog!
For a Good Fit, Take Careful Measurements
Before you can purchase an Ortho Dog Hip Hound, you will need to measure your dog’s height and chest circumference to determine if it will fit. This will inform what size harness and hip brace to order. If you have a German Shepherd, read our specialized sizing instructions.
How Do I Measure? Along with our instructions below, we’ve provided a video to ensure proper measurement for all of our products.
Step-by-step instructions for measuring for the Hip Hound Brace
- All measurements should be taken with your dog standing.
- Use a soft measuring tape (or string) for a snug measurement.
- Measure the circumference of your dog’s chest by wrapping the tape completely around the body. The minimum size to fit is 12 inches, with a maximum of 43 inches.
- Measure your dog’s height from the bottom paw to the top of the lower back. The minimum height requirement is 13 inches.
- Enter your dimensions in the “Measure Your Dog To Get Started” fields on this page and submit with the “Does it Fit?” button. Based on your measurements, the results will let you know what size harness and brace to order.
How to Put on the Hip Hound Brace
Along with our instructions available for download, the video below demonstrates how to fit the Hip Hound hip brace on your dog.
We recommend taking your dog on a short, leashed walk once the brace is secured. Positive reinforcement (treats, encouragement, and praise) is essential in helping your dog adapt to wearing a brace. The Hip Hound can be worn during the day and taken off at night.
The Hip Hound Brace should always be removed at night so that the skin can breathe. Please also remove the Hip Hound Brace if you are crating your dog or leaving them unattended.
Sign of a Poor Fit
If the elastic leg straps cannot be secured mid thigh, or the leg panels are too loose over your dog’s hips, you have a poor fit.
Still Having Trouble?
We welcome any questions to support you and your pup with your Ortho Dog brace! If you are having issues with the brace fitting properly, please contact us and we’ll walk you through it, or exchange your product for a different size.
- Spacer mesh material
- Stainless Steel hardware
- Nylon Mojave side squeeze buckles
- Nylon wide-mouth Sliplocks
- Nylon low profile strap keepers
- Heavy weight nylon webbing
- Commercial grade nylon Velcro
- Embroidered Ortho Dog emblem sewn on brace
Made in USA
Ortho Dog hip braces are manufactured in the United States, and are all sewn locally in Western North Carolina.
Ortho Dog is grateful to work with veterinarians across the country and internationally to supply affordable bracing solutions as an alternative to surgery. All of our braces have been designed with deep input from the veterinary community.